Five Newton-area students participated in this year’s Massachusetts Science & Engineering Fair, and two of them won awards. The in-person Fair itself had to be canceled, but all the work before it was celebrated through media. Here are Newton’s participants and their research topics, which are described more fully in the MSEF Program Book:
- 2nd Place — Rohit Paradkar (Newton South HS): Bioinformatical Analyses of the Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- Finalist — Elizabeth Lesher (Newton Country Day): What Factors Increase the Risk of Contracting the Common Cold?
- Charlotte Aslett (Newton Country Day): Testing the Effects of Sucrose on a Drosophila Model of Alzheimer’s
- Emily Addona (Newton Country Day): Automated Integrated Security System
- Nicholas Hu (Newton South HS): Defect Lifetimes in Active Nematic Systems