The Newton Public Schools recently adopted the following STEM-related goals among its Systemwide Goals for the 2018-19 school year:
- Implement Investigations 3 in grades K, 1, 2, and 5.
- Roll out new science units in grade 3 to align with MA Science and
Technology Engineering (STE) Frameworks and Next Generation
Science Standards (NGSS).
- Develop and revise science and engineering units in grade 4 to align
with new standards.
- Implement Illustrative Math curriculum in all middle school grades.
- Plan for improved research writing across disciplines in accordance
with the MA DESE Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies,
Science, and Technical Subjects in collaboration with library teachers.
- Develop a plan for improving students’ literacy skills across disciplines
in accordance with the MA DESE Standards for Literacy in
History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects.
- Begin developing short performance assessment and embedded
assessments in new science curriculum to measure student progress.
- Evaluate the use of anchoring phenomenon to engage students in
critical and creative thinking in STE.
- Continue the Calculus Project.
- Support Calculus Project students in grades 9-11, monitor course
placement and achievement in both high school cohorts.