Empow Studios will hold an Open House for its STEM Camp and After-School Club on June 8, 3:30-5:30PM at its Newton location (180 Needham Street). Design, engineering, and coding activities will include Scratch programming, video-game design software, stop-motion and digital animation, digital architecture design, programming EV3 robots, painting with augmented reality, and touring the International Space Station via virtual reality
The Innovation Institute (TI2) offers summer and school-year STEM programs that are engaging, challenging, and — yes — joyful for Grades K-12. Classes are small and led by scientists and engineers who are committed to TTI2‘s inquiry-based, hands-on, student-focused approach to teaching and learning. Its curriculum is focused on developing critical and creative thinking, drawing on research in STEM education and cognitive development while remaining complementary with curricula of schools in the greater Boston area. Limited needs-based financial assistance is available. TTI2 is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and welcomes contributions to further its ability to offer this assistance and extend its reach in underserved communities.
- The summer program has 18 courses of 1 or 2 weeks each, June 15 through August 28; new sections have been added, and some spaces remain available. Enroll here.
- The 2019-2020 school-year program has 30 courses available in each of three trimesters, September 11 through June 13. Enroll here now to lock in current-year prices.
Empow Studios is launching two advanced STEM programs this spring:
- Video Game Development Team: For teens to collaborate on a single, focused video-game project. Saturdays, 10:30AM- 2PM, April 27-June15.
- Competitive Robotics: For Grades 5-8 to immerse themselves in a friendly, pre-competitive training environment aligned with two worldwide robotics competitions – FIRST LEGO League (FLL) and World Robot Olympiad. Mondays, 4-6PM, April 29-June 17.
Empow Studios STEM Enrichment Center in Newton has opened registration for:
- Summer AR/VR Camp: Summer camps focused on virtual reality and augmented reality for ages 12-17, in two-week sessions: July 22-August 2 and August 19-30.
- STEM After School Club: For the 2019-20 school year, the new curriculum includes Augmented & Virtual Reality, teaching math through technology, a new electronics track, and a bigger focus on collaboration and group projects.
iCode will open its STEAM programs in its Wellesley location (73 Central Street) starting in June. These will include after-school programs and summer programs in Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, Drones, Digital Arts, 3D printing, Game Design and Development, Mobile App Development, and Electronics. For more information, or to enroll in summer programs, contact the Campus Director, Pam Peck, at 781-291-3131 or email@example.com.
The Makers’ Corner for Grades 6-8, located at Underwood School, has announced February Vacation activities, for which students may sign up by individual days: Woodworking (February 19), glassblowing (February 20), and making a mock newscast at NewTV (February 21). In addition, the Makers’ Corner has announced Early Spring Clubs starting in the first week of March.
Boston Tech Mom (“a parent’s guide to raising a future techie”) has published a very useful, comprehensive list of Math Programs for Kids in Massachusetts — for both year-round and summer.
Newton Community Education will offer STEM courses for kids of all ages this winter. Register now at newtoncommunityed.org or call 617-559-6999.
Registration is now open for new courses at the Makers’ Corner for Grades 6-8, located at Underwood School. All meet 2:45-4:15 except Tuesday clubs start at 2PM.
- Intro to Hands-On Electronics: Mondays, January 7-February 11
- Make Your Own Comic Book (Print or Digital): Wednesdays, January 9-February 13
- Survey of Printmaking: Fridays, January 4-February 8
- Sewing Stuffed Animals: Tuesdays, March 5-April 9
- Scene Shop: Props, Costumes, & Sets: Thursdays, March 7-May 9 (includes final show)
- Build Your Own Infinity Light Table: Fridays, March 1-April 5